- Tues 9/24 – arrive at hotel before noon.
- Wed 9/25 –
- Thurs 9/26 –
|8:30pm||Meet at Colosseum Box Office|
|9:10pm||Colosseum Night tour (1 hr); buy tickets at http://www.tickitaly.com/tours/colosseum-rome-night-tour.php|
|10:10pm||back to hotel (subway B to subway A)|
- Fri 9/27 – 7:15am board bus to airport. Arrive in Chicago at 1:40pm Friday.
We are staying at the City Guest House (Viale Opita Oppio 76) (TripAdvisor) located southeast of Rome in Tuscolana area. Map. The hotel front-desk staff is reported to speak fluent English and has in-room WiFi. The hotel has bikes if you want to go for a ride. Our Alitalia flight to Chicago was rescheduled for several hours later (they never notified us; I found out when trying to check-in) and the hotel was kind enough to let us stay into the afternoon as opposed to waiting at the airport.
Parco degli acquedotti – short walk (15-20 mins) south-east from hotel. From there, another 10 min walk to the best preserved section of the aqueducts.
The Metro A line is 3-4 blocks walk to the Numidio Quadrato stop. Once we get into the city, expect to also take buses. Here is transportation information: rome-transportation-101.html. Transportation Map
Roma Pass – €34.00 and good for 3 days: Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday until midnight. Buy either at the Rome airport Tourist Information Point Terminal 3 Arrivals on Tuesday morning during our connection to Palermo, OR buy a 1-ride subway ticket into town (€1.50) and then buy the Roma Pass at the PIT at the train station or at a museum/site.
The Roma Pass card is a single card used for entrances to museums and on public transportation. The card works on RFID and should not be inserted and stamped. Simply touch your card on the yellow reader to get through buses and metro trains. A green light indicates that the card was read correctly.
The Colosseum underground and 3rd tier tours from this company were highly recommended on TripAdvisor: coop culture
Here is the info on underground tours: Colosseum_undergound_tour_FAQ
On 9/26 (Thursday), a night tour of the Colosseum is available Colosseum Night Opening.
- You can buy tickets directly from the Colosseum booking office for just the Colosseum, but only by phone. Colosseum_after_dark_tickets_where_to_buy
- Or from a ticket agent: tickitaly.com colosseum-rome-night-tour for €24.50 for the 9:10pm 1-hr tour.
- Or from a tour operator at a much higher price, but includes other stuff. walksofitaly colosseum after hours (€69/pp or ~$92/pp). Walks of Italy offer a 10% discount to Rick Steve’s readers if you call 202-684-6916 to make your reservation; 8pm for a 2-1/4 hr tour. now-visit-the-colosseum-and-its-underground-at-night
As I recall, it was easy buying tickets on the phone; just deal with the time zone difference. You get them via email.
I think the Metro runs until 11:30pm so we can check at the hotel front desk about whether walking back to the hotel at 11pm is advised.