- Tues 9/17 – land at 11:10 am and arrive at hotel by noon. Will probably crash early.
- Wed 9/18 – walk around Palermo and visit Monreale?
- Thurs 9/19 – Erice and winery tour
- Fri 9/20 – Valley of Temples
- Sat 9/21 – pack and fly to Naples
Local Palermo and environs bus service by AMAT. While the hotel is a bit too far to walk to the main train station and inter-city bus depot (30-45 min walk), there are several local buses routes within a few blocks of the hotel.
- Lines 101, 102 and 107 go down Via Della Liberta (catch on side closest to hotel) to the main train and bus station.
- Line 104 goes down Via Della Liberta to Piazza Indipendenza; change there to line 389 for Monreale (see below).
- Line 118 does down Via Giacomo Cusmano to Piazza Indipendenze; change to 389 for Monreale (see below).
- Line 806 goes up Via Della Liberta (catch across the street) to Mondello
- Line 833 goes up Via Della Liberta (catch across the street) to Mondello along the coast.
Unlike other countries we visited, in Sicily the trains are often slower than taking a bus (buses are direct while trains generally follow the coastline) so trip plans are keyed to bus times unless a train offers timing advantages.
To get beyond Palermo, generally take the regional/inter-city buses interbus/segesta. Segesta has a ticket office/stop at Politeama which is only 9 blocks from the hotel. From there you can catch the bus to Trapani.
trenitalia.com – train service from Palermo. Many destinations require a train change.
cuffaro bus line – bus service from Palermo to Agrigento and some other places
SIAS – regional and national bus service from Palermo to Catania and Catania to Agrigento and back to Palermo?
Cooking class in Palermo – http://www.winetourinsicily.com/one/cookingclass.htm or cookingwiththeduchess or feasting-with-leopards-an-unordinary-cooking-lesson is a 6-hr experience but costs ~$225.
Duomo di Monreale More info Either take a bus from Piazza Indipendenza or taxi for about €30 each way. Since the bus stop isn’t convenient to the hotel, I’m leaning towards just taking a taxi. That also avoid the pick-pockets that prey at the Piazza Indipendenza. A shared taxi wouldn’t be too expensive. Of course, being a church, women should not enter with uncovered arms or wearing miniskirts or very short pants; men should not enter wearing short pants (remember Patty’s Vatican story).
Mondello beach resort, though not nicer than beaches on the Greece trip. I may also decide to wait until Capri to do a beach visit.
To get to Fontana Pretoria from the hotel, walk a bit over a mile down Via Della Liberta to the Plaza on the left (or take a bus towards the train station)
Villa Romana del Casale (Review) about 2-1/4 hr trip from Palermo.